Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Hard at work

Aloha all! I thought you might like to see what I've been doing on a daily basis, so I got some pictures of me working to show you what a typical day is like for a Sea Life Park vet tech intern.


This is Lambchop. She is a Hawaiian Monk Seal and I absolutely adore her; fins down, she's my favorite animal in the park. Behind her is Puiwa (pronounced PWEE-va) the Harbor Seal. She's alright, but she doesn't have as much personality as Lambie.



This is just a pretty rainbow I saw on my way to the bus stop to go to work.


Chuff slides and blood smears! These are a big part of my work. A chuff is when a dolphin clears its blowhole; its kind of like a sneeze. The blood smear is pretty self exlpanitory. We go out into the park to collect these samples, then back to the vet lab where it is my duty to prepare the slides, stain them, and then look at them under the microscope to see what there is to see.

Another big part of my job is meds. I sort meds out into little baggies to make sure everyone gets the right dose of the right med at the right time. Some people might find this tedious, but I enjoy it alot!


Holoiki (ho-lo-WEE-kee) is our other female monk seal. She has a wound on her belly so these are pictures of me helping Dr. Beth (the vet) and Celeste (the vet tech) to clean it out. We have to be very careful because these seals are truely wild animals and not as tame as the dolphins or sea lions, so they can be very dangerous if you don't treat them with respect.
From left to right: Dr. Beth, Holoiki, Celeste.





Well that's all for now. More later.
Aloha,
Jenna

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It looks like you're having fun! And I'm still uber jealous! We miss you here!